Focus Asia Business Leaders
31 October 2009

Master of Journalism – FAQs

A few frequently asked questions answered.

1. Can I apply for the MJ programme if I do not have any journalism background?

Yes. While we welcome applicants who are aspiring journalists or mid-career journalists seeking professional enhancement to our programme, we also welcome other professionals seeking a media-related career or expertise in the media to apply.  For the admissions requirement of the Master of Journalism (MJ) programme, please visit the Admissions page .

2. Can I apply for the MJ programme if I have already graduated from school and have been working for some years? Do I need to submit my academic transcripts?

Yes to both.  We welcome both fresh graduates and working professionals who are interested in journalism to apply for our MJ programme. For the admissions requirement, please visit the Admissions page.  We require applicants to submit supporting documents, e.g. academic transcripts, etc. along with the application.

3. Where should I send my supporting documents (e.g. TOEFL/IELTS result, academic transcripts, etc.) to?

Applications for the MJ programme must be made online at  Please send your supporting documents, e.g. transcripts and TOEFL/IELTS result to the following address:

Journalism and Media Studies Centre,
G24 Eliot Hall,
The University of Hong Kong,
Pokfulam Road,
Pokfulam, HK

(Please mark your online application no. on each page of the document. )

You should mark the programme name, your name and online application reference no. on the envelops.

4. When is the latest submission date for any outstanding supporting documents, e.g. TOEFL/IELTS result?

As soon as possible.  For example, if you have just sat the TOEFL/IELTS test but the results have not yet been released, please indicate clearly on Page 2 – Section 5 “English Language Requirement” of the application form and request the result be sent directly to the University once available. Generally speaking, if you are to be accepted but there remain outstanding supporting documents to be submitted, a conditional offer will be given.  You are then required to submit the missing documents as soon as possible. Conditional offers will be dealt with on a case to case basis.

5. Is there any specified GPA requirement?

There is no specified GPA requirement for our admissions requirement but we will consider your all-round qualifications and credentials.  For further details of the admissions requirement, please visit the Admissions page

6. Do I need to submit reference letters? If so, can these be written in any language?

It is not absolutely required that you submit reference letters with your application.  At the same time, references do help us consider each applicant more closely and in some cases, applications benefit significantly with such supporting documents.  Please note to your referees it is advisable to have the letters written in English.

7. Do I need to submit proof of my family’s financial situation?

Not necessary.

8. What is the purpose of the written test and interview?

The written test and interview help us determine a candidate’s knowledge of English usage, grammar, critical thinking and whether they keep abreast of current events.

9. How can I pay the application fee? Is it possible for me to pay it online by credit card?

From now on, payment of application fee must be paid online using Visa or Mastercard.

10. How can I apply for a scholarship? What are the selection criteria?

There are a number of scholarships you can apply for, details can be found on the Scholarships page.

11. If I send the application form by post, when is the submission deadline?

From now on, applications MUST be made online at  It is suggested to have your supporting documents reach the University by the deadline of 31 January 2012, therefore kindly take mailing time into consideration.

12. Is JMSC’s Master of Journalism programme recognized by employers? How is the employment situation or prospects like for MJ graduates?

Yes, top employers recognize the quality and standard of our MJ degree and graduates. Our graduates are immediately sought after graduation and recruited by many leading news and media organizations in the region and around the world.   To know where some of our graduates are now, please visit the Where Are They Now page under the Alumni section.

13. Do I need to apply for a visa if studying in HK?

Non-local student need to obtain a visa in order to study in Hong Kong. The Hong Kong Immigration Department issues student visas to applicants enrolling in a full-time course in the University. Details of the visa application procedure are available from HKU’s Centre of Development and Resources (CEDARS) website. Students intending to stay for more than 6 months should obtain a Hong Kong Identity Card after their arrival.

14. What is the cost of living in Hong Kong?

It can be difficult to give a precise estimate of the likely cost of living for overseas applicants because it varies depending on the type of accommodation selected and other factors. For students living in on-campus postgraduate residences, approximately US$1,000-$1,200 per month is required to cover food, lodging and general living expenses (excluding tuition fees). If living off-campus, students can expect to budget more as accommodations can be more expensive.

15. Can I live in a dormitory? How do I apply?

Accommodation for non-local postgraduates is available at Robert Black College, St. John’s College, Graduate House and Pokfield Road Residences. Since on-campus accommodation is highly competitive, not all newly-arriving postgraduates can get a place. Overseas applicants may be required to provide proof that they are able to support themselves financially throughout the course at the time of their application for student visa. Postgraduate students can apply for on-campus residence by visiting the HKU Postgraduate Housing website.